Get to know Q2Q’s technical support analyst, Phil Irwin, with this speedy Q&A.
- Describe your role at Q2Q in one paragraph
I work with our customers to resolve a wide range of IT hardware and software issues, helping to ensure they can get back to work as quickly as possible. Along with regular visits to client sites, I also provide assistance on the phone and via remote access.
- What’s your favourite part of the job?
I really enjoy getting out to meet customers at their offices and helping them face-to-face. Another favourite is the hardware side of IT – give me a laptop or PC to repair and I’m happy!
- What does it take to be a great technical support analyst?Being understanding and having patience with people is essential! Plus, problem-solving is a key part of the job, so a logical mind and an eye for detail is crucial to ensure that nothing is overlooked. The ability to explain things to people without boring them is also important – IT isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, so it’s up to me to keep things interesting enough that they take in the essential information!
- If your colleagues could sum you up in one word, which word would they use?Friendly.
- What did you want to be when you were growing up?A racing driver! Hard-drives aren’t too far off…
- The phone rings and it’s your dream enquiry – who would the client be?The Mercedes F1 Team – they urgently need me to fly out to Abu Dhabi to resolve a problem with Lewis Hamilton’s laptop.
- What’s the biggest IT challenge facing SMEs in the current business climate?The human factor is probably the biggest challenge. As careful as people try to be by implementing as much anti-virus and protective software as is practical, there are malicious people out there targeting the end user – and specifically the ‘human error’ element – to steal business data.
- If you could change one thing about the IT sector, what would it be?Less jargon and a more user-friendly experience for everyone – when it comes to both software and hardware.
- What are your hopes for Q2Q over the next 12 months?
To ensure our customers remain happy and for us to continue to grow and bond as a team.
- If you could pick any 3 words to describe Q2Q, what would they be?Dynamic, fun and responsive.